Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Identifying Ovarian Cancer with Proteomics

After getting a pelvic ultrasound this morning and the subsequent paranoia that I have, I did some surfing to read more about ovaries and ovary size, etc. I ran across a website, OvaryResearch.com and found this very promising information that is new to me. It is especially promising because pelvic ultrasounds are not very good screening tools anyway. 

A study in 2002 found that the use of proteomic patterns in serum (identifying a pattern of proteins) may help identify ovarian cancer. I wonder why this is the first time I am reading about it and think I will need to do more research to find why this hasn't become a standard screening methodology. The results of the 20o2 study were able to screen 100% of ovarian cancer carriers and correctly screened 95% of non-ovarian cancer carriers. So what happened to this promising method for screening??

No comments: